Tuesday, November 11, 2008

SNEG!!

So, here I am. No longer a trainee.. but a volunteer. Ooo. Our Swear-In Ceremony was Friday, held at a University in Almaty. It wasn’t that eventful, but there is a new U.S. Ambassador to Kazakhstan, so it was interesting to hear him speak. After taking our oath, it was time for our goodbyes  But not before the feast. This was the best part of the day by far, as the Peace Corps organized a bunch of tables set up as buffets. So funny note, us Americans take our plates of food and go stand in the back of the room. Kazakhs, on the other hand, have a different idea of how this buffet system works. After elbowing their way in, they stake out a spot and don’t move until they have tasted everything in their arms reach. And, they don’t stop after that. Let’s not forget the most important part, the magic plastic bags they all have in their purses to take a doggy bag or two home.
So, then it really was time to say goodbye. Our train left Friday night, and by the time we arrived on Sunday morning, we’d been seeing more and more snow out the window since we passed Karaganda.
At 6am on Sunday, it was dark and freezing. We still got a really warm welcome to Pavlodar, however, with all our counterparts waiting for us with big smiles on their face. The director of my school even came to pick me up! (Her husband, who had to carry all of my luggage, I don’t think was so happy.) After napping at Sandy’s (my amazing, adorable counterpart) house, it was time to move in with my new host family.
So far, everything is great at their house. It’s huge, first of all. I’m sure it’s one of the biggest houses in the village. I’m not going to complain about that. I have internet, indoor plumbing (yes, showers!), and my host parents even put my own water cooler/refrigerator in my room. (I’m going to be so spoiled-so Jennifer Speyer-ha!)
My host mom, Gaziza, is a zavuch at our school. My dad is Valdamir, he’s Chinese with a Russian name. I’m going to try to figure out his background soon. I also have a 16-year-old sister, Era, who is in her first year of college in Pavlodar. Plus, my 90 year-old-babushka, who is adorable. They have two other daughters, one who moved to Germany last week (??) and another who is married and lives in Astana. Gulnara, who is in Germany, was the only one who spoke English… so I’m left here with my (intermediate low, yes!) Russian. Our favorite game is to say words in Kazakh, Russian, English, and Chinese. (Ris, Ris, Rice, Mi-fan!) How international.
The mom and babushka make me delicious Chinese food. Hello, flavor! They do try to stuff me like a turkey at every meal. :( Still, it only took them about a day to figure out my strange eating habits. Sandy had to interfere and explain, gently, that I like to do this weird thing called being healthy. Everyone had a good laugh when I was told to put butter on my bread (ugh, I hate butter.) I took a tiny sliver and spread it out. Valdamir goes, here; let me show you how to butter your bread. Imagine, if you will, two big hunks of cheese sitting on top of a small piece of bread. That’s how much butter he tried to feed me before eating it himself. He goes, oh, I know! Maybe they don’t have butter in America. In China, there’s no butter or cheese. Jane, do they have butter in America? Yes, Americans love butter. (Ryan, are you grossed out yet?)
They are learning, though. This morning instead of pushing oily potatoes onto my plate, they just let me eat my peanut butter toast in peace. Mom, you’ll be happy to know that they’ve even started using my garlic salt and lemon pepper.
We got more snow this morning. I forgot how challenging it is to run on snow. A friend told me once that it was good for your abs, so I’ll try and suck it up. I’m supposed to be joining a gym this weekend so I won’t have to freeze outside. Oh yes, and the second semester of school starts tomorrow. I’m excited to see my students and start coaching my own soccer/xc ski teams!
Today, I’m going to buy my first fur coat! I’ll need it.. Miss everyone! More updates soon.

No comments: